Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Soup and sashiko, in turn

 For the second day, I woke at what I thought was the usual time, got up, light was right for about eight o clock, and found it was in fact about nine o clock. So it seems as if my system is declining the offer of a change of time.  Good thing I didn't have to get moving early this morning, because I definitely didn't.

However, soup needed to happen at some point, and here's the makings going on. Today it's celery, flat leaf parsley (some saved out for salad) and carrot greens.  Cream of, that is,  milk being added at the end.

But first, the admiration of the garlic, sprouting happily now after being here for months, and showing life goes on.

And here's the lovely armature on which the garlic rests and grows.  The interior architecture of a simple head of garlic is anything but simple.  This is one reason to cook from scratch.  You get to see these marvels of nature's art.


Then, this pot of green power is going gently, onions, Greek olive oil, garlic, celery, flatleaf parsley and the last of the carrot greens.

Ending in this savory bowl of soup, bit of Thai basil to garnish and flavor it with a licorice taste.

And, in among the various stages of the cooking, I was attending to the Robe.  To be exact, drawing in the pathways for the sashiko stitching.  I used french curves for this, rather than doing it freehand, largely because you can use the curve to anchor the fabric so it doesn't skitter away when you draw.  On other fabric I'd do it freehand.

The box of french curves originally belonged to Handsome Partner for whatever he used them for in the lab.  There was a period when the box did a brisk commute between lab and my studio, because I used them for all kinds of purposes in papermaking, printmaking, drawing, stenciling, all kinds of ideas.  Finally his work moved in a different direction, and the box came to rest in my studio.

Then I had to test out a number of different hoops in order to get moving on the stitching.  The biggest hoop was in danger of crushing the goldwork, aieee, no, not that, and the smaller one wasn't big enough to navigate the spaces between gold and silver work.  So this oval one came in handy, as you see.  It takes in enough design to work on, and juuuuuust misses the goldwork at the top and the silverwork in the middle.

So this will happen this afternoon.  Then I take the work off the hoop, as you do, because if you leave it, say, overnight, it will distort the fabric and that won't be a good thing.  So you rehoop each time you pick it up.  And hour or two between stitching is okay, but not longer than that.

Now that I'm finally awake, I guess I can get on with this.  I'm wondering how long before I adapt to the clock change, though.  I'm exactly one hour behind the clock as I go. Not a big problem unless there's an unmissable appointment.

One of the containers I gave out with the Valentine choc things came back yesterday with two brownies.  Just in time for tea.  So my neighbor and I exchanged vaccine experiences and plans, and it was very nice.  She was apologetic that they were bakery brownies, she not being a baker, and I was very happy to get them anyway. They were good, with choc chips in them, too.  

It actually took me a minute to realize who she was, her hair massive and flowing all over, and a substantial weight gain, and masked.  Then I saw the container, ah, all became clear.  This time last year she was fairly svelte, a teacher on her feet all day long, with a short blond bob.  But sitting teaching at a computer, and with no access to her hairdresser, very different.  Still the same person, so, that's okay.  And she managed to get the vaccine, qualified by both age and occupation.

Someone else got the appointment set up for her, and they drove two hours south to a megasite for it.  But she's happy they did it anyway. Handsome Son becomes eligible by occupation at the end of the month, so he's planning to plunge into the search then.


16 comments:

  1. I've been trying to leave a comment, I have removed cookies, etc. Hope it will work now. Just to let you know I was here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it worked now. So here it goes: I love the look of your garlic cloves. Fabulous. If I keep reading your posts I will definitely be more inspired to cook. Right now I'm off to make some roasted potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love roasted potatoes. I have them quite often.
      Thanks for persevering with the comment function.

      Delete
  3. I agree, garlic is a wonder. And after you nip off each end, it practically peels itself. I had a squash to bake last night, and filled the rest of the sheet with left over veggies to roast. The last is gone tonight; I'll have to cook tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got my first shot of AstraZeneca this morning! I feel relieved. But life, masks, hand washing, social distancing and restrictions carry on as before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to get the first one. And yes, caution goes on anyway. Can't slip up now.

      Delete
  5. Now that looks like a healthy soup!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We won’t get the first shot until next month. It will be a relief for sure. Glad you teacher-neighbour got hers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I roasted a head of garlic last night in preparation for making a white pizza. I, like you, was charmed by the neatness of the cloves after I'd sliced their little heads off as they were still nestled together. Every night as I slice our greens for whatever purpose they will be used for, I am overwhelmed at their scent, their crispness, their beauty.
    Last night's pizza crust was made with sourdough starter that I took out to feed the starter and it was absolutely a delicious pizza. We ate the sliced greens with balsamic and olive oil on top. I must do that again and soon.
    Your stitching makes me feel like a two-year old, playing with mama's needle and thread.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pleasure of cooking real food is endless. All the senses are involved.

    I hope you enjoy the stitching capers. I've been doing it for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post
    Recognizing the container speaks to what a good neighborhood you live in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's good. Very mixed population, interesting.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!