Sunday, March 7, 2021

Announcements of various kinds

New readers start here:  if you have been reading strictly in htttps://beautifulmetaphor.blogspot.com, you  may only now be aware of the parallel blog I've been writing yea many years, too.  Welcome here, if this is your first entry into these hallowed, or something, halls.

My art life has been changed radically by the pandemic, and I think it's more interesting to fold the two blogs, this one and Art, the Beautiful Metaphor, together from now on.  Nothing will be lost, just instead of posting to two blogs, I'll post everything to one place. Here.

Anyway, that's the plan.  If I hear passionate objections, I'll listen and see what I should do.  Otherwise, this is where we are from now.  And specially thank you to readers who have patiently followed both blogs and commented there, too.  A special crown of diamonds awaits you.

And today is a partial reveal!! of the spun, plied, knitted, woven, and now sort of modeled jacket, which, until I'm able to spin again, is to be a nice vest ready for spring walking.  This is where people who have been reading only Field and Fen might want to pop into Art, the Beautiful Metaphor, to scroll back and catch up.  It's at https://beautifulmetaphor.blogspot.com    No, Blogger won't let me put up a link to my own second blog, we've tried that, and it only sends you back into your own blog if you have one, and nowhere if you don't.  So it's cut and paste, sigh, sorry.

I started this caper back in early October and thought it would be a winter project. At that point I had a basket of roving, fluff, really, in all colors, from Goats Magosh, cheap ends of excellent quality roving in all kinds of fibers, wool, silk, alpaca, mixes, all kinds. I guessed right about the length of time it would take, and there's still a way to go before it's an actual jacket. But as soon as I get the stitching together part done, it will be a wearable item.  Because knitting and weaving have natural selvages, there are no raw edges, which is why I can do this.


Anyway, here, this morning, finally, finally, got the woven front lapels finished and steamed, so many ends to weave in

And the various parts resting together here, before I go on to tack everything ready to hand stitch.  Notice the fronts are designed to be longer than the backs.  That's because my fronts take up more space than my back.  Also when you put on any tailored top, you always situate the shoulder seam behind, not on, your shoulder.  That's how they're supposed to work. So the extra length allows for that, also for room under the arms.

You can hardly make out the lapels up there, because the patterns are all so noisy, but here they are turned back so you can locate them

Then I tacked lapels to fronts, back to fronts, lapels to shoulders, and was able to sort of try on to show you, though the tacking came apart a bit with my contortions trying to get pictures.

And to crack up laughing at my solo attempts to show you how the back works.  Nicely, I think. The underarms fit comfortably over a sweater.

 The length worked out exactly as hoped. And the neck space. And shoulder width. All in all, good outcome.

So here's how it works, tacked up and waiting, but wait, there's more

Remember way back I used my potholder loom to make pockets?  I suddenly remembered, and here they are in situ.  After the whole thing is stitched together, they'll be added, with plenty of stay stitching to allow for frequent use.

I'm determined to be wearing this before the US daylight time change next weekend.

Meanwhile, life does go on in Field and Fen world, and, since I had ended up giving most of the banana bread away to various children, leaving only a couple of pieces for Handsome Son's visit tomorrow, I baked a pan of cornbread, as you see.


This afternoon I get to choose next Friday's Misfits Market box of produce, always an exciting event in a pandemic.  Things happening!  Stuff to arrive!  It doesn't take much to amuse me at this point.

A lot of people's post-vaccine planning involves movies and restaurants, neither of which interested me before and don't really now.  It reminds me of the old joke about the patient coming round from shoulder surgery and the surgeon telling her "It went great.  We'll have you playing violin in three weeks' time!"  To which she says, "That's amazing! Thank you.  I've never played violin before!"

To be honest, to an old widder woman living alone who has outlived her cats and most of her friends, that would be me, it won't make a whole lot of difference. Except for one huge one, the release from the fear gripping every move for the last year.  That will be welcome.

21 comments:

  1. Hi, I am delighted to be here. Your vest is an amazing work of art and will look lovely on your walks! The cornbread looks delicious. There is nothing like cornbread baked in a iron skillet - perfect! Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Bonnie! I'm very glad you made the trip. I'm a big fan of cast iron for baking. Or anything, really.

      Delete
  2. So very, very beautiful! As glorious as your smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bright and cheery jacket vest will be perfect for welcoming Spring! Looking forward to seeing the completed garment soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colours in the vest. Perfect for a post pandemic outing.

    The fear this last year has been terrible! Oh for the carefree days again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will cheer the whole place up!

      Delete
  5. Amen to an end of stress even if nothing else much changes. All of your creative efforts, in kitchen and elsewhere are wonderful and I wish you and Handsome Son a lovely time,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your jacket is so fun. It lifts my spirits just to imagine you wearing it. I was at first enjoying your smile in the fifth picture and I almost missed that you were showing us the back of the jacket! I can see you'll look good coming and going. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll certainly be visible coming and going!

      Delete
  7. I think of my art/craft friends still exhibiting, whose careers went topsy turvy in the Covid climate.
    I think combining the blogs is a good idea. And some cheers, too, to the relief of the vaccination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, covid-19 forced a lot of change. I've been mulling for months before deciding that with or without the pandemic it was probably time for me to move on in terms of competing and exhibiting. 45 years is a good run for fine art, and I need to be into new things.

      Delete
  8. Happy Blog Merge!
    Your spring jacket is gorgeous. Nice work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The Big Merge is going to take a bit of getting used to at this end

      Delete
  9. Darling Liz,

    Gosh, we have been away from your blog for what seems like minutes and a whirlwind of activity has taken place. We have just caught our breath after trying to catch up.

    First, rolling two blogs into one sounds like a great idea, although how we shall manage to keep up with twice the activity even if it is all in one place is a challenge we must face. And, talking of challenges, how marvellous it is that you introduced us to Balto the husky who clearly can join Laika the space dog in the annals of canine heroes!

    Your top reminds us of Joseph's coat of many colours. How you managed to create the pieces in the first place fills us with amazement but, then, how you could work out which piece went where and arranged them to fit, we find totally incredible. Yes, you must get out and about in it [with mask, gloves and socially distanced, of course] in order to show it off before it is too hot to wear. It will certainly brighten up the neighbourhood!:):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be very much appreciated in this largely Indian community, where color is celebrated!

      The path of this work is all described in the Art, the Beautiful Metaphor blog, which remains open for reading and scrolling back. It's been quite long.

      Delete
  10. Who was that chap that had the coat of many colours? And didn't he go on the stage to show it off? Anyway, it's gorgous. We'll see you coming before you even get round the corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat. This one practically has its own rhythm section.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!