Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Ladies, First, Take a Leek!

Famous words innocently spoken by a very proper English lady on her cooking show, very early tv cook in the fifties on BBC.  Anyway, here's the leek and potato soup, which turned out very nicely, complete with carrot greens as a garnish.

Handsome Son visited yesterday, and easily polished off the rest of the pancake cake, which he liked a lot, said, hm, this is like pancakes or something.  Anyway, it's gone now.

And I'm starting to make exciting post vax plans.  I announced to him that, as of late April, by which time I'll have been vaccinated for several weeks, I plan to do my own shopping again, taking the burden off him.  He's been very good about it, and will still visit, but won't have to be taking precious free time to shop for me.  I will still be doing Misfits, but there are other items to get.

He tells me that grocery workers will become eligible some time in April for vax, too, so he's hopeful. He wondered  conscientiously how to fit it into his work schedule, and I insisted that no matter what time and date and location he's offered, just take it.  Everything else can wait.  So he decided, yes, that was a good idea, realizing that this can be a life or death situation.  He's been in danger daily for over a year, having to deal with the public and being exposed for many hours.  It will be wonderful when we both are safely vaxed.

I continue to send useful updates to friends still seeking their vax, in hopes.  But supplies are finally ramping up. And when people are vaccinated, we can see each other again, with caution.  The post vax world will be pretty good.  I have literally not touched another human being, not even an animal, since early last March, when it was already considered risky, but a friend's mother had died and I just had to hold her hands as she told me about it.  It's been a loss.

Meanwhile I read this

and wasn't very impressed with it.  I think it suffered from being read right after Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children, which was brilliantly written.  This one basically checks the boxes, time travel, check, shape shifting, check, battles between good and evil, check, real life sliding into fantasy, check.  But for me it never really stood up as a good story.  He's respected, so I think it's worth trying another sometime.

I'm also rereading a Maisie Dobbs, In This Grave Hour.  Rattling good storyline.  

This is about the outbreak of WW2, and involves Belgian refugees from the previous war, and the aftermath for some of them.  

 I'm a little bit excited about tomorrow's appointment. Who knew that getting a vax would be like a party?  The new normal.



9 comments:

  1. Enjoy the party. Perhaps there will be cake and balloons? I do hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so sorry you didn't really like Neal Gaiman's book. Perhaps he's not for you after all.
    I'm going to make a soup tonight and just can't figure out what kind. My mind is pondering it while I'm going about other things.
    I'm so glad you're getting your shot! Go, you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give Gaiman another try at some point, because I would like to see why people love his work.

      And I'm beyond happy to have finally got the appointments.

      Delete
  3. Taking the pressure off your son is a good thing. And another good thing is his willing help this past year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was similarly kind to his dad in his last years, different reasons, same caring.

      I think he's earned a break.

      Delete
  4. Enjoy your vax outing! What a world we live in, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having received my first vaccination Monday, I'm starting to imagine life post vax myself. Glad you've finally been able to make an appointment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's odd to be looking ahead with a bit of optimism.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!