Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Clafouti, now that's what I call a winter dessert

So I finally got to the store where I can get the frozen berries, the weather having been a real bar lately to doing a lot of things,  and, aside from this berry mix being good eating with a bit of honey, and wildly nutritious in the winter, I suddenly thought this might be a great way to use up the rest of the pancake batter I made yesterday.

Last night's supper and today's lunch were  a giant veggie pancake, consisting of freezer scallions, green beans and zucchini slices, sauteed very well, then  pancake batter poured over, made into a very sturdy pancake on top of the stove.  In the cast iron pan.  Of course.  It was very good but not photogenic, so no pix.

Then I thought, ah, clafouti!  great old Julia Child recipe I made many times in the distant past. Usually this is done in cherry season in France, early June, because of a large quantity of cherries to deal with, but you can use any fruit, really. 

I hauled out my early sixties' copy of JC, complete with inscription from Handsome Partner which I won't quote because it was an in-joke, mainly to find out the oven temp needed. Which turned out to be 350F. 

Seemed like a good time, too, to test the cast iron pan's utility  as a cake pan.  You scarcely need a recipe for this. Make a skim of the batter on the bottom of the pan, let it cook a minute or two (this is to keep the fruit from sticking to the pan) and while that's happening,  thaw and drain about half a cup of berries, put them in the pan, then pour the rest of the pancake batter over and bake.  






I did this at 350F for a bit over half an hour, since it was a small one, a bigger one should probably go longer.  You can see how it's starting to release from the edge of the pan, showing a  browned underside. This tells you it's about done.Nice warm dessert for these cold winter days.

You sprinkle a bit of sugar over after it's baked, looks nice, and I served it with a couple of scoops of  plain nonfat yogurt. If your household goes for icecream, this would be great, the hot dessert and a scoop of good vanilla, yes I can see that.




and the pan released the clafouti very nicely.  

At this rate I may freecycle all my other pans!  so far every experiment I've made with the cast iron has worked out.

1 comment:

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!