I'm more inclined to be home reading, walking, cooking than going out these days.
But I did get to the knitting group yesterday, where there were great projects in progress, from a sock to my latest project
The sock knitter is now the owner of all my size 2 bamboo needles, easier than using a circular needle.
Here's my latest stitching, an old pair of jeans now to be embroidered. I've been thinking of this for ages and finally, needing a portable project for my group meetings, started on it. It's the kind of thing that can go in whenever I feel like it, but I can still wear the jeans at any point.
Talk ranged over sheep festivals -- local one this weekend, and I have two offers of rides, but it's crowds, not my thing, broken bones, travel, adult learners in the arts, cat rescue, fountains and more.
Home to Textiles and Tea with weaver and collage artist
She translates her collage work into her tapestry weaving. Her pieces often have political messages, such as race and the isolation of COVID. This was particularly significant to her as a Chinese-American woman when the Chinese were blamed for the pandemic.
Her joyful and open attitude are a contrast to the seriousness of her subject matter, and the high level color and pattern skills of her work. More on her website. Go there!
Meanwhile food and flowers continue to feature around here.






























Your quiches always look so delicious and you get lots of meals out of those big ones. I'm tired today and may take a nap.
ReplyDeleteYes, rest when you're tired. You'll be glad you did. The quiche is so easy to make, basically it's assembling. Then there's always a meal when I don't feel like cooking.
DeleteI think I would like a quiche to happen to me.
ReplyDeleteCouldn't happen to a hungrier guy.
DeleteI think quiche sounds like an excellent idea for my lunches, just not today, I'm feeling crappy. Lots of leftovers which mean I don't have to think about what to have. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteI know very little about art but I do know that I like a little red in a piece of art. It draws my eye and probably reminds me of blood which is what keeps us all going. I very much like this artists work, especially the cardinals. Sadly we do not have cardinals here in Alberta. Sigh.
Blood! A retired nurse speaks! No cardinals in Alberta? I didn't know they're not Western birds.
DeleteI made a quiche-like thing for breakfast on Sunday with onions and tomatoes and peppers and spinach. A little cheddar. I've been heating up leftovers of it for my breakfast the last two days and I'm really enjoying it.
ReplyDeleteQuiche adjacent food is my go-to just now. Anything, using egg and cheese as a binder.
DeleteYou and Ms. Moon caused a most wonderful scampi-adjacent shrimp-and-garlic dinner to happen last night. We never have shrimp on hand, but both your dinners looked so good we took the plunge. I must admit, it was delicious!
ReplyDeleteGlad you pushed yourself to knitting group; you have a good portable project there.
A very nice miniscule potato harvest!
Chris from Boise
Aha, Mary and Boud, influencers!
DeleteI've always thought of myself as a bad influence but perhaps I can change here in my older age.
DeleteI have a choice on my weekly menu of quiche or egg and bacon pie. I can't tell the difference. Maybe there is a bit of spinach in the quiche. Yours looks like one for quite a few meals.
ReplyDeleteSounds as if there's not much difference. My giant quiches are a week of lunches.
DeleteI'm not familiar with sheep festivals.
ReplyDeleteIt's an event where spinners, knitters, sheep and yarn sellers converge. They can be massive, like Rhinebeck or smaller like NJ. Some have an event where sheep are shorn the fleece trimmed, spun and knitted into a shawl. It's the Sheep to Shawl competition.
DeleteI'm glad you explained that because I was thinking Agricultural and Pastoral (A&P) Show - big deal here for showing prize animals.
DeleteI mad a similar "quiche" but used left over mashed potato and it was kid of squishy textured, so I won't do that again. Sliced potatoes next time. I like the speckled look in the knitting of the first picture.
ReplyDeleteI agree, sliced or chunked potatoes work best.
DeleteThe quiche looks so good. I’d better go have breakfast. I love Fannie Lee’s weaving/collage art!
ReplyDeleteMaybe you can make a potato pie!
I think you'd love Fannie Lee, too, such a cheerful artist. A potato quiche, hm?
DeleteI've missed out on the last to weeks of posts but in my case it's been the heat that has made me lethargic and resistant to doing anything that required moving.
ReplyDeleteOnce again I'll say how talented your group is.
I understand that lethargy.
DeleteThe quiche looks good! The RC often cooks quiche in muffin tins and puts them in the freezer for a quick-grab breakfast, lunch or supper. The only drawback is having to wash the tins after they're cooked.
ReplyDeleteGlad you made it out to the knitting group and T&T had yet another interesting weaver. I agree that books and plants (if only I could keep them alive) are good company.
I like my quiche ready there. I don't mind repeating lunch until it's gone.
DeleteI don't think the knitting group will be weekly for me, getting to be a bit of a treadmill, but less frequently will probably work.
Posts don't seem to be getting delivered by Blogger so having to trawl my reading lust and check everyone's back catalogue. Good to see you are still making great tasty and nutritious meals (makes me ashamed of myself).
ReplyDeleteIt's a bit laborious finding blogs and catching up. I rely on good meals to keep me going in good health, so there's motivation. Also I'm not busy building a new house!
DeleteI think anybody with sense wants to hole up at home. These hard days are...well...hard. And no matter what, you find a smile.
ReplyDeleteMy blog friends help there!
DeleteI'll be interested to see how the embroidered jeans turn out! Be sure to report back! It's so hippie -- in a good way -- to embroider jeans. :)
ReplyDeleteMaking up for lost hippie time!
Delete