Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Thanksgiving 2017, a bit early, but who's counting

Today was Thanksgiving 2017 chez Boud and visiting Handsome Son.  He's working on Thursday, so we did our celebrating today, both thankful that we're well, solvent, and able to serve another great Thanksgiving dinner.


Last evening, I ensured a very nice day for me today by setting up the game hens, with a couple of hot Italian sausages, lemon slices. 




And set the table, finding all the little cloths that come out of hiding at this time.  Including the Indian one from Kate, seen here on the tea and cheese table, and the Greek one from Donna, on top of the wedding present afternoon teacloth from a lady whose name escapes me. After all these years, it was 1963, the napkins have been worn to shreds and vanished, but the cloth is still lovely, drawn threadwork.  And the hand hemmed green one I made, with a set of napkins, years ago, and use a lot.  The big metal teatray I found in the street, rejected by the recyclers as not aluminum, but sheet iron!  lovely and big, useful.



And the cheese board, another fugitive, in fact another wedding gift,  and the little cheese knife.  And set up the tea tray.  It was great to have it done this morning, particularly when I realized I had no wine, and had to do a store run..

In the middle of the frenzied cooking this morning, about six things all working at once, neighbor came over to ask about Thanksgiving, wondering if I had plans!  I explained I was already doing it, and she laughed, and said, ah, carry on then!  

Nice thought on her part.  I think she worried in case I was ALONE, and didn't want to be. I love ALONE, but give her credit for thinking of it. She's visiting, not familiar with my shenanigans, and I think she thought she should check on the old lady next door..

In fact I have plans for Thursday which involve a lot of loafing, watching of BBC videos and eating a second dinner, leftover from today.  And walking on the Preserve if the weather works out.

So today it was game hens.  These are quite big as these guys go, and one was plenty to share today. The other one partly went home with Handsome Son, along with the rest of a full plate so he can serve himself another Tday dinner when he gets home from work on Thursday.  And sweet potato, stuffing (called dressing, I think, since it's in the oven, crisp on top, not inside the bird), mushrooms, baked potato for HS, corn from the farm, cranberry sauce.  I think I remembered to serve everything, doesn't happen always.


And it was a lovely day.  Crisp sunny weather, son brought good cheeses and crackers, and a pumpkin pie and cream. We got into it to the point of being surprised at seeing people coming home from work.  Oh, not the holiday, after all.  In fact I could check the mail, I suppose.

Usually on Thanksgiving, I get the thankfulness out of the way, then make requests for my upcoming birthday, in a couple of weeks' time, and Christmas, usually just so Handsome Son can plan.  Once again, my birthday gift will be a meal he comes here and cooks for me.  And Christmas I have asked him to give a little gift, food or cash, to the local food pantry.  Seems appropriate that people with plenty to eat can try to spread the goods around a bit.

And I have a request for my faithful blogistas, too.  This year, if you would like to help me mark my birthday (the last one of my seventies) and see out my eighth decade in style, would you please consider a donation to any food related organization of your choice?

Can be international, for children, or local, as in food pantry or bank, but it would be a fab gift to me if you would consider that.  Not that you wouldn't have thought of doing this anyway, but just make it special for me?  Thank you.

Next year I'll start my ninth decade and may be making huge demands...involving diamonds and limos and resorts and who knows what I might just need..so get in now with a modest wish, you'll be glad you did!

 

3 comments:

  1. A very Happy Thanksgiving to you and Handsome Son, wishing you many more. Thought of you this afternoon when I came across a number of fresh turkeys at the grocery store - Thanksgiving long past here in Canada but some folks of American heritage will be celebrating according to your calendar. Glad to see you had plenty to eat and had a nice visit with HS. Hugs 2 U, Jean in Calgary

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much in this post, much to think about--being alone but content, feasting early and using the special linens, passing a decade threshold... We will be giving to a foodbank again this year, so part of the donation will be in your honor, boud. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very belated Happy Thanksgiving wishes Liz, to you and HS. It looks as though you had your usual delicious fare and had a nice day. Love all the handmade napery. xxx Marrianne

    PS have forgotten my Google login password. Will have to work on recovering it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!