Yesterday was full of things happening, such as the knitting group playing with a yarn winder. One member had given this to another so it was in use instantly
She's interested in trying cross stitch so I plan to bring in some counted cloth for her to try it.
Home to an unexpected meeting in the street with my bathroom contractor who, despite my fears, has been researching.
He's found the insert he plans on, correct color, searching now for tiles and I assured him exact match not needed, but maybe close to wall color, peach, apricot. He's over Thursday for final measurements before ordering the kit, yay.
Then, a bit late, to Textiles and Tea with Richard Vijgen, who does mysterious weaving on the Jacquard TC1 loom to translate computer chips to large and tactile artworks.
I might have been less mystified if I'd been in time for the intro. I'd read his statement and was baffled. So I just let the work flow over me.
He's a Dutch designer working in various aspects of machine learning, of which his weaving is one aspect.
Speaking of being challenged, I've started inquiries into installing a stair lift, well ahead of needing one, seems like a good idea rather than wait till it's urgent.
This is a world of high pressure sales I'm navigating, all wanting tons of my information before giving theirs.
But I'll wade through it, ready for installation after the bathroom is done. It's all go. And all $$. But cheaper than moving, and I keep my neighbors and my privacy, which would be all changed if I had to move.
Happy day everyone. After I'd said yesterday to Codex the only limits are the ones you decide on, I realized that applies to a lot of contexts, including weaving and home reno.
And Freecycle, once again assisting with the decluttering of Handsome Son's condo.
He brought this lot over when he gave me a ride to the lab this morning. After the labwork, we went to the bank so I could deposit a nice rebate check from the state, which will no doubt be turned over in due course to pay for the bathroom. I'm getting to wave at it as it flies by.
Then tea and apple cake, which got a good review and request to bake it again.
It's all good, and I'm happy the bathroom is finally about to see action.













I miss doing cross-stitch. Just read a couple of days ago that the British Museum possesses a woven textile with a cat cross-stitched on it dating from Peru a thousand years ago. Here's the link:
ReplyDeletehttps://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/E_Am-7498?selectedImageId=879070001
Wow, thank you for this.
DeleteNot cross stitch, various satin and running stitches. The fiber is confusing because it's coarse. But what a marvelous item.
DeleteI love the sharing that happens here! That figure is essence of cat, no matter what stitches were used. Chris from Boise
DeleteOh, that cross stitch is so cute! Lovely yarns.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you are going to get your new bathtub and toles done. Getting the lift chair is an excellent idea. It is so much better to be able to stay at home as long as possible. Smart lady! :)
It's worth it to me to stay put as long as I can. I notice people who move into retirement and assisted living communities peg out much sooner. I've outlived every able bodied friend who moved into communities defined by age.
DeleteThat cross-stitch is beautiful. A friend of mine gave me a piece of cross-stitch this morning which I will take a photo of and post. It's very me.
ReplyDeleteI've thought about needing a stair lift to in the future so I'm looking forward to you doing all the work and me reaping the benefits:) I think it's a good idea.
Lets hope the bathroom goes well and quickly.
Aha, I'm a guinea pig! I expect it will be all different in Canada!
DeleteIs this in any way a continuation of core rope memory?
ReplyDeleteIt may be influenced, but the introduction of the TC1 Jacquard makes me think not, much more complex a process
DeleteI saw something for the first time as an alternative to a chair lift for stairs. I've no idea how it would compare price wise, but it was a one person semi enclosed lift, shaped rather too much like a casket for my liking. Obviously you would lose floor space with a hole punched somewhere in your lower ceiling but it may be worth investigating.
ReplyDeleteI investigated that years ago, and aside from the danger of being trapped alone, it's physically impossible for this house. But I did consider it.
DeleteWe did a bathroom on the main floor a few years ago.
ReplyDeleteLots of creativity.
Cathy
I look forward to getting mine finished.
DeleteThe video of the yarn winder was delightful. Glad Mike the Contractor has been on the ball, even if not too communicative at this stage. My dearly beloved grandma's stair lift allowed her to remain in her home for decades longer; it earned its keep. Don't envy you the sales pitches, though.
ReplyDeleteApple cake goes nicely with a cup of tea. You have a very good son.
I wonder, with your background in both computers and art (and both together), if the T&T would have been fascinating had you caught the intro.
Chris from Boise
Isn't the group fun? That is a little sample of our playtime.
DeleteI will soldier through the sales because I think I should get on with the chair thing.
The thing is that he has no clue about art. His approach is relentlessly left brained physical problem solving. I realized it was pointless looking for meaning and nuance, which is why I let it flow over me. I noticed that the weavers in the group who seized on the concept are the ones who simply don't get the idea of meaning in weaving as an art.
I gave up cross stitch because of my eyes. Even with glasses it would trigger migraines. I do like the stitcheries. They're not as tiny and grow way quicker
ReplyDeleteIt’s all go at your place. I agree even though it’s all expensive, it’s a much better option than having to move.
I don't like cross stitch. My eyes hate the diagonals!
DeleteI would like to het the stair lift set up. It's a pretty simple mechanism really. And I'm small enough it's not a weight issue.
Just for a second or three, I wondered what a yam winder might be. I guess the eys are going. 😎.
ReplyDeleteYam or yarn, choosing material for your new sweater.
DeleteThe cross stitch in the first picture is very pretty and I agree about using the knitted test patches as pockets. I think a stair lift would be a good investment. Now I'm thinking about Apple Cake, I have a recipe for Apple Tea Cake that I haven't made in years and I'd like to, but first I need to buy apples.
ReplyDeleteI recommend getting back to the apple teacake. This one was really good. More interesting than pie. I'm thinking why ahead with the stairlift, but it's good to be ready ahead, since there's a lot to learn.
DeleteNice to at least have a check to wave at! Great idea about the stair lift.
ReplyDeleteYes, easy come easy go!
DeleteI love that cross stitch.
ReplyDeleteWise to plan ahead but I can't see you needing it for a long time. Except for fun!
And now I want some apple cake.
I don't see needing the stairchair for a while, but I want to be ready in case.
DeleteThe apple cake is definitely worth a try. It's from Baking on a budget, on YouTube.
My great aunt and uncle had a stair lift in their beautiful Lookout Mountain, Tenn. house. I remember watching my aunt ride it upstairs when I was a child. It seemed like magic!
ReplyDeleteI call the apple cake I make "hippie apple cake" and I love it. Haven't made one in a long time though. You have reminded me. And speaking of cake- one of my daughters has a birthday this weekend and I offered to make her a cake. What kind would she like? She sent me a recipe that's going to take a day and a half to make. I swear. I need to get started on the lime/pineapple curd asap.
Hoo-boy.
I wrote and lost a reply. Anyway, that cake sounds exotic, better get going! About the stair lift, I fancy myself like Tony Soprano's mother terrifying the family as she descended! Bwahaha.
DeleteYou are an excellent planner for things that may come. It's relief for you to speak to the contractor. Now the ball will be rolling. I don't understand the weaving but I do like it.
ReplyDeleteThe thing about the stair lift is that right now I'm fine on stairs, but it would only take a fall or a knee issue to change that, so it's good to be ready in case.
DeleteI think you are wise to opt for the stair lift versus a move. Just makes sense. And now is always better than the emergency.
ReplyDeleteYes, you never know!
DeleteThat weaving looks very complicated. I enjoy doing cross stitch and love that pattern you showed today! Good luck with the chair lift search.
ReplyDeleteYes, I forgot you're a keen crossstitcher. This is a commercial pattern, which I expect you could track down. There's a kind of motto across the top when it's done.
DeleteI'm not up on how the income tax works in the US but here in Canada we can use the price of things like stair lifts and ease-of-use tubs as a medical expense, provided we get a prescription from the doctor. Might be something you could look into (but I'm pretty certain you already have!). When my dad lived with us we put a chair lift in and it's surprising how often we used it to move things from one floor to another without having to carry them.
ReplyDeleteSince my income is below the taxable threshold, it doesn't apply. But good reminder in case any reader wants to check it out.
DeleteSending things up and down is one of my plans, too, since it's getting hazardous to carry awkward or heavy things upstairs and down. This is long before I plan to ride myself.