Wednesday, November 21, 2018

More from the Pym file

Deep in a biography of Barbara Pym, by her longtime friend and colleague and excellent writer Hazel Holt. This is so worth reading, both because it disinters a lot of the origins of Pym's characters and settings, and it leads you on to other writers Pym loved, worth seeking out.  It's more interesting, probably because more frank, than Pym's own autobio, which is too reticent to tell you much.



I now have a book on hoopla patiently waiting till they let me in to download it -- nine titles a month is the ration -- by Denton Welch, had never heard of him, he died very young, but was a great writer and a fine painter too. Look him up and you'll see. If Pym recommended him, I'll try him.

 I have my tablet by when reading Holt on Pym because I keep realizing that a lot of her expressions are in fact quotations, usually biblical, and I hadn't picked up on that, not being well versed in the old testament. Tracking these down via tablet also illuminates some of Dorothy Sayers' titles and comments that are taken from the OT.  The legal and Latin references I'm okay with. Sayers too, was of a theological turn of mind.

Anyway, back to Pym, as a character in Heyer comments, yes, I thought we'd be back to her sooner or later. You'll note that the jacket cover is in the same style as the recent paperback Pyms, a nice touch. And I thought Barbara would appreciate the touch of handmade lace under there, too. Ironic.

So once the holiday uproar quiets, or if it's just a weekend where you are, take a look. I'll let you know about Denton Welch when I get to read him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!