Sunday, November 18, 2018

November 18, 1918 -- November 18, 2018

Today is the hundredth anniversary of my parents' wedding anniversary. Elizabeth Smith married Frederick Ryder on November 18, 1918, in Middlesbrough, Yorkshire, UK. He was finally home from war, having survived the trenches and the battle of the Somme, but severely wounded.

They went on to have nine children and lose three. I, the youngest of the group, and older sister, Irene, whom you know as dogonart online, are the last living.

They left school at twelve and never stopped learning, both great readers, mom an opera fan and a gifted maker, of food, clothing, cake decorating. Both politically knowledgeable and involved. Very little money ever got into the house, hard times, and they left virtually nothing material.

All the family got as much education as they could, before war or work came on, and all had interesting careers all over the globe.




And here's the one item I have from them, the Gresham Comprehensive English Dictionary, which mom bought by installment payments, because education was a priority. She did not have household appliances, despite a large family, when she invested in this in the thirties.

I d say her priorities were right. She would put the occasional family photo in the pages.




And I kept a fern from my sister's wedding bouquet in it, and notes from a brother's self teaching of Russian.



It seemed the right place to keep Handsome Son's newborn footprints and proud father Handsome Partner, then husband's, note on the copy.

I read this book constantly during years of illness as a kid when reading was about all I could do.

So I'd say it's earned its place on the shelf. And my parents more than earned this little tribute today.




12 comments:

  1. Nice to see that old book again. Our parents were so courageous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thanks for coming in so promptly! I was going to email you, and you beat me to it. Wasn't sure if you were following the blogs at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely family memento ;-) Happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! My sister, with no advance warning, since I wrote this within fifteen minutes of noticing the date, came in very promptly and took speed honors for commenting! Glad you enjoyed the little tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. They've been gone a long time, but I still think of them so often. I've been without them for nearly 60 years, and still use their advice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! There's a symmetry I never noticed till I wrote it: their 100th annie a couple of weeks before my 80th birthday. It's all very pleasing and neat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post!

    Maria
    (from Nook)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is definitely a family treasure! So nice that it has been kept all these years and been used as a repository for important memories as well. Lucky indeed the family that has one of these and has had the forethought to hold onto it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maria, thank you so much for coming in and enjoying. That means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you enjoyed this sliver of history, in the form of a dictionary.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!