Thursday, November 1, 2018

Pumpkin walnut chocolate bread

But it's called bread so I can have it for breakfast. But then there are the spices, so I can have it for afternoon tea. And then it will go a treat with a glass of milk last thing at night. It's an all purpose food.




I used half the little sugar pumpkin I had on the step. The seeds are tossed for the birds, and the other half of the pulp is frozen probably for soup.

I'm glad I got two loaves out of the recipe, because it was labor intensive. Baked the whole pumpkin about an hour in a medium oven to soften the thing enough to cut into it. Then all the flour and eggs and spices and chocolate bits and walnuts and eggs. And the search for a recipe that used real pumpkin. This is from Alton Brown, credit where it's due.  Even the ones that want a can of pumpkin don't tell you how much that is. It wouldn't hurt them to just mention it.

Anyway, fyi, my 5lb sugar pumpkin gave me about six cups of pulp, three in the bread, the rest in the freezer. And a big bloof of seeds outside.

My neighbor is very happy I'm all tied up with baking because he had to go to work leaving the fridge man working nextdoor, and he knows I'll be here anyway to see all's well. He will probably get a slice of the bread in the deal, too. Neighbor, not fridge man.

So this is what happens when you frugally use up the fall decoration for food. Not a bit of bother. Hollow ghostly laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!