Saturday, December 7, 2019

Shortbread cookies, very seasonal

Just watching Last Homely House, and Kate was baking shortbread cookies, rolling like pastry, and using some semolina.

I knew I had semolina in the freezer, so I thought I'll try that. Found the semolina was way past its sell-by date, dumped it. But I'd got the butter warmed and the regular flour sifted, so I soldiered on anyway.

I had refreshed my knowledge of fractions, because the semolina to regular flour is one to two. My recipe, different from Kate's, asked for two cups flour.

So my personal math, involving how much flour is one third of two cups, came into play. I got it figured then found the semolina was a nonstarter.  Oh. So just two cups then. Fiiiiiine.



And here's batch part one, on shiny baking tray


Batch part two, on dark baking tray. These browned better, as usual, always happens when you use a dark tray.

But they're good. Shortbread is funny, in that it's very pale even when baked, doesn't get that brown finish.

Rolling out like pastry worked fine, if you don't want to press the dough into a pan then prick and mess about making it into breakable parts.

So these will go out for Christmas.

3 comments:

  1. I used to bake shortbread - rolled out in rounds, cut into wedges, pricked with a fork - for my brother Dougie, who was the only person I knew who really loved shortbread. It was fun to make, but then, it's always fun to make something nice for some someone special who really enjoys the thing you made :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying again to catch predictive text before it renders nonsense. I can do that without help!

    Anyway, shortbread is impressive but easy to make. Fun, too. I don't know anyone who turns it down. It's usually a New year item for us, Scots husband, his tradition.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!