Wednesday, June 13, 2018

The pitcher's final journey to the well

So if you're one of the afternoon tea guests over the years chez Boud, who've worried in case yours might be the hands in which the valuable Wedgwood Queensware pitcher might meet disaster,  your troubles are over.

Yesterday a cheap old saucepan lid fell into the washing up bowl I'd just put the pitcher in, ready to wash it. And this is the result.



It's retired for flower duty, sigh. Served me well. I can probably glue the handle back, but it won't work as a pitcher you can trust not to dump the milk on your guests.

Sic transit gloria Wedgwoodi.

5 comments:

  1. How sad! I hope there was a fitting Dolliver eulogy and Elton played an appropriate song for the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, she did have her moment of blog glory recently, so there's that. Two hundred years of history. Of which I had her in my hands for about 50. So there's that, too.

      Delete
  2. That's a good way to look at it, and truly it could have been much worse. At least the handle can be reattached, which is something.
    And it's still a lovely piece of china, even with a scar or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah well. Sympathy and empathy, in equal measure.
    I only stopped breaking teapots after I ran out of extremely old ones with sentimental associations. The ones I have now were each bought at tag sales for a few dollars or less, and they seem likely to go on forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I realized after I wrote that it's Queensware but not Wedgwood, but nemmind. One of these days I'll remember the correct id. It's actually a good thing I broke it myself. It's awful to be a guest and break something prized. I like to set up nice cloths, china, home baking all that for afternoon tea, but it would be a bit upsetting to find you'd put paid to a but of your hostess's history!!

    Like knocking a glass of red wine over the best damask cloth, arghghg.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!