Friday, March 20, 2015

Despite the snowy equinox, cooking goes bravely on



 
So, this being the state of affairs outside, on the first day of spring, it demanded action in the kitchen.  

Wednesday was the Bite Club meeting, that's my cookbook book club,  and a reunion with the members I hadn't seen for ages, owing to my dodgy winter.  This is the group where everyone brings samples from the current cookbook to share all around. And one of them had made Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce, three kinds. The simple one was so wonderful I decided it had to enter my repertoire.  Just up my alley: simple and marvelous.

So I made a batch today, and you see the results. 




So good I'm thinking of making my own pasta tomorrow to go with, along with some seafood mix that will be very good.

 One thing I sharply departed from:  when you make the sauce, a really simple thing with can of whole tomatoes, (fresh ones in season), butter, salt, an onion cut in two and cooked along, you do all that, slow simmering, wonderful smell, all good so far..   

Then Marcella commits a food crime: she says to discard the onion.  See that perfectly good onion sitting in that dish?  My outrage was as loud as the Ds on seeing the snowstorm when they planned gardening.  Not in my kitchen, dear M.  It's Food!  you're talking to the woman who made next door's Halloween pumpkin into soup.  Discard an onion? Nevah.


So I cut it up, and roasted it with a spritz of olive oil, in a 375 F oven for about 45 minutes, and made it the bed for an egg over easy. Fresh ground black pepper on the egg. Perfect little supper, with a nice glass of Merlot. Just sayin.


3 comments:

  1. Yum! Excellent use of an onion. Cannot imagine discarding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear hear! No need to discard perfectly good food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks absolutely delicious I would have sautéed the onion as well and if nothing else froze it for future use.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!