Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Dosas, my version

I was just thinking about Indian food, and leafing through an Indian cookbook, and realized I had the makings of dosas, right in the kitchen. Always a good point.

Dosas are south Indian crisp pancakes you roll up with some spicy filling.

I more or less winged the prep, used up my remaining couple of cups of basmati and jasmine brown rice, and a couple of cups of red lentils. Soaked them for a couple of hours. Added in a very nontraditional egg, but traditional turmeric, salt, cumin, chili powder. Blended all this together, then left it in the fridge overnight. It's a thin batter.




Then today I made a couple for lunch, rolled around spicy chicken, and they were fine. Not as crisp as normal, probably because I added the egg, but fine.

Done in medium cast iron pan, oiled, over high heat, couple of minutes each. I'm thinking of making all the batter into dosas, and freezing the extras, just to see if it works.

Meanwhile tomorrow I'll have them with a spicy potato filling, more traditional. And I'm wondering about other fillings. If you have any ideas, please comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!