Friday, October 27, 2017

Soup of the evening, cauliflower

Handsome Son to dinner this evening, so the menu is all set.  Cauliflower soup, then ham slices, parmesan potatoes, dessert Biblical cake.  Nice blended red wine. A lot of everything.

The soup needed roasted vegetables, since cauliflower is a bit bland, and the extra added attraction is always good.



On the baking sheet, raw cauliflower, olive oil, kosher salt, turmeric, baharat, head of garlic busted up and peeled, sections scattered artistically about.


Then the makings, after the roasting is done, 425F about 25 minutes.   Bunch of scallions in the pot, chicken bouillon, to add.  I also dropped in a few bits of parmesan rind, always a nice addition to soup.  A lot of seasoning went into the roasting, so I only added some salt here to the pot.  After adding in four cups of bouillon, I added in another cup of water.


 Cooked to tender, then it gets blended




and you get this, lovely thick texture. It's golden because of the turmeric and the chicken bouillon.  Probably will add a bit of plain nonfat yogurt before I serve it, just sort of swirl it in a bit. 

This provides plenty of soup for tonight's dinner, plus three containers now in the freezer for my next few lunches. If I were cooking this for one, it would be about a week's worth of meals.

2 comments:

  1. So funny--I made soup yesterday too. I thought I'd taken out broccoli and cauliflower and planned an au gratin dish. But I'd taken out cabbage and broccoli. So I cooked it all together in chicken broth, pureed, and added a little milk and lots of cheese. We also had potatoes, along with chicken breasts and green beans with rosemary. Twas delish--as your dinner sounds too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update, while Handsome Son is watching a mystery movie. Most of the soup vanished, all the ham and mustard, most of the potatoes, all the cake I put out. So this was a good menu!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!