Friday, October 6, 2017

last rose, maybe, Thanksgiving and indoor gardening rescues

Indoor gardening today, houseplants ready for a drink, and a bit of pruning.
  


The succulent garden has been overhauled, all three of the baby plants now in one pot, rather inexpertly transferred, but I was surprised at the root system on these tiny plants, so I'm hopeful. I didn't separate them from the original leaves yet, though one had shriveled nicely.  But I'm rethinking the use of coco fiber for this purpose.  Maybe mixed with potting soil will be better, the mix I used to transplant.

The parent plants will be wintering over with me, currently outside next door and doing wonderfully. But I'll swipe a few more leaves to propagate, as rent for taking care of them for six months!

The other two pots in the succulent garden are occupied by some hen and chickens which the dratted squirrel had dug out about ten times from the strawberry pot outside on the deck.  

He seems to think this is the perfect place for his acorns, and I've found the small plants from the top of the planter tossed on the deck repeatedly.  Says something for their hardiness that they still try to grow.  The plants growing from the side openings of the pot are doing fine, many new chicks appearing. So the lack of action on the top is clearly squirrel antics.

The Boston fern that hangs from the kitchen ceiling suddenly sprouted a little oak tree, proving that these squirrels get everywhere.  There was probably an acorn buried in the potting soil I used when I repotted the fern.  I fervently hope a squirrel didn't come indoors to bury it.. just a joke.  If you'd ever seen the devastation that can be wrought by a squirrel loose in a house, you would definitely know if one had got in.

The ancient begonia, which I grew from a slip these last twenty or so years, was in need of a bit of a crutch.  So I figured the sedum didn't need propping up any longer, and found I had to wait my turn. 

A dragonfly was sunning himself on top of the cane, so I politely waited till he left before I brought it indoors.  A bit hard to see, he's on the cane nearer the foreground.



And while I was waiting I noticed yet another lovely yellow rose.  Maybe this really will be the last of the year.  Every time I think that, another couple appear.  And they can continue till frost, so maybe some more will appear.  Picture, just in case this is really the last this year.

And we're coming to Indigenous People's Day weekend, no reason to celebrate that other guy who couldn't even sail straight.  But we owe a lot to the indigenous people. Many traces of the Lenni Lenape right where I live, clay lamps, arrowheads, before they were driven from their own lands. My gardening and general care of people is in part my attempt at some restitution.  I take care of the bit of earth I can.

And it's Thanksgiving in Canada, nice and remote from Christmas, much better timing than the US, I always think.  Anyway, Canadian blogistas, enjoy your holiday weekend and all that that entails..really dates me, that Goon Show reference.
 

2 comments:

  1. I have found placing flat stones or pebbles around the hens and chicks in the planter seems to discourage squirrels digging. I'm off to Picton for Thsgvg Carol Ann and John are picking me up, spending weekend with them and delivering me back home. Nice of them but I said I felt a bit like a FedX parcel. CA suggested more like Priority Post with a full tummy. Heh !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put a layer of big marble chips in place. Let's hope they act as a deterrent to our tough "You lookin' at ME?" NJ guys. Not mild Canadian squirrels.

    Enjoy tday, and give my love to Carol Ann.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!