Monday, October 23, 2017

A sight to gladden a person's eye, Man at Work!

Here's my trusty friend, artist and contractor, at work on my deck.  I asked him to take a look at the rotting bits and do something about them.  

He checked them out, went away, cut pieces to fit perfectly into the bad bits once he'd removed them, went around replacing screws here and there as he tested the deck, and now I have a pretty much renewed deck.  You see the new bits just beyond the bench. They went in like birds, perfect fit.



It's nearly 30 years old, so it's not doing too badly. The wear and tear was on the narrow part in front of the gate, where workmen come in, bang down equipment and generators and so on, and it got a bit beat up over the reno.

But now, all is well.  Since Mike lives across the street, he likes to measure, decide, shop for wood, parts, etc. do most of the work at home then come over with just what he needs to install.  He put in new grab bars in my bathtub bathroom, this week, and that has made life more confident for me.

So I can get out of the tub, and nobody's going to fall through my deck any time soon.  It's only a few inches off the ground, but you can get a meanly twisted ankle if you go through it.  And I don't want the meter reader hobbling away.

He, Mike, not the meter reader, always visits a while, checks out what art is happening, loved the artist books I showed him.  Altogether a Good Thing. Not just a job to him.  He also does the cooking in his house. His wife is on velvet, or so it looks from across the street!  She has a very demanding job, so they have a great balance.  And he and I swop recipes and tasting of various kitchen experiments.

He is one of the people who keep my life on track. I notice how often people in the building trades also have an eye for art, and a good bit of adeptness at it, too. Mike loves to make origami, and he collects prints, especially woodblock prints.

To see what I was doing while all this was happening, go to Beautiful Metaphor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!