Saturday, March 9, 2019

There has to be a better name than fish stew for this lovely food

It involves fish-- I used flounder-- potatoes, onions,carrots, anchovy paste, thyme,garlic, a bouquet garni of herbs from the freezer -- oregano, basil, curry leaves-- chicken bones, tomatoes, tomato paste. Some water and some of the pectin I made a while back.



Two Views of Mt. Counter

I blended it before the fish went in. After I fished (!) out the chicken bones and bouquet garni.

This bouquet thing sounds posh, but it's only a bundle of herbs bunged into cheesecloth and tied up. I don't know why chefs make a song and dance about it.




This dish takes a few stages, first the onions and thyme, and the carrots should have gone in then but unaccountably stayed on the counter, and got in later.

Then the garlic, anchovy paste since i didn't have anchovies, to cook till it smells great. Then  the potatoes, toms, water, all to cook tender. That's where I blended. Finally the fish, which takes only a few minutes.




Wait, I think it's a chowder. That's better.

It's good, too. The only drawback is that I couldn't spin while I cooked, that being the current reason for getting up in the morning.

4 comments:

  1. I'm mining the freezer these days. Yesterday I found a package of frozen haddock so I put it in the crockpot with a carton of broth and a bag of frozen spinach and a frozen cube of lemon zest, and let it simmer all night. Had a small bowl for breakfast and it tasted okay, but was tricky to eat because the spinach turned out to be whole-leaf. So I blended the rest and now I've got to figure out a few ways to eat several containers of a dark green mush that tastes okay but does not exactly delight the eye. Adding chunks of potato would be a likely choice, but I'm staying away from nightshades. Maybe carrots...mushrooms...the thing is, nothing is going to make it look nicer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a couple of ideas, but concluded that they're only going to give you a different shade of muddy green. You could rename it St Patrick's Ribsticking Provender.

      Delete
  2. I love your food posts; they always make me hungry, and they always make me want to cook! Chowder is a nicer name to be sure for what looks heavenly. For a while I was doing a sort of poaching thing, fish in nice Italian canned tomatoes/zuke or other veg/herbs; fast and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear from you, Mare. Part of the fun of cooking is writing it up. And taking pictures while complaining that the food stylist hadn't checked in.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!