Thursday, February 14, 2019

Apple, raisin, banana bread, with redactions

Since Handsome Son is dropping by later for a cup of tea, and there wasn't a crumb of cake in the place, I jettisoned my plan to bake risen bread, and made a bready sort of thing, with bananas, raisins and a hefty amount of tart apple chunks from the freezer, using whole-wheat flour.

The recipe involves melting and cooling butter, which I do in the microwave. Usually I remember to take it out and add it to the batter.





It wasn't till later, cake baked and cooling that I noticed the flashing signal telling me to retrieve the dish of butter.

Interestingly, it seems to me that there's no difference from the times I've remembered the butter. I'm guessing because there was a ton of apple. It's still one of the better banana breads I've made. I gave it ten extra minutes in the oven  because of the apple. What's the function of the butter, then? I ask the expert bakers who read here.

I'll get Handsome Son's verdict later.

2 comments:

  1. I think butter's primary function is flavor ;-) But it's also supposed to add tenderness and moisture, etc. Your apple chunks probably achieved all of that, so just slather the butter on a slice of the b-bread and enjoy! (This makes me want to bake b-bread, but I would eat it all too quickly!) I will enjoy yours ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judging by the large slices he ate, handsome son approved. I rationalize eating this for breakfast because it's bread! Toast! I freeze slices to slow down the rate of demolition, which sort of works.

    Your explanation, Joyce, explains the vegan subs for butter etc, which tend to involve fruit. This recipe has an egg in it, so not vegan, though. Thanks for weighing in, pun not intended!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!