Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Teapots and pitchers, accidental collections

The subject of accidental collections came up recently, the kind you didn't intend, and might not even realize you have until someone mentions it.  And the friend I was emailing with said she liked the sound of my pitchers, would like maybe to see.  So I thought, good idea.  And there are teapots..




My afternoon teas, solo or with company, are an almost daily chance to enjoy this stuff. Not quite Downton, but who's counting.


Here are the markings on the underside of one fish one, probably says dishwasher safe..I also bought two cups with the fish design. They're elegant mugs really,  don't need saucers. And my afternoon teas are an almost daily chance to enjoy this stuff. Not quite Downton, but who's counting.
 
And this is a Chinese coil pot, with a bamboo handle, fave of Handsome Son when he visits
 
Chinese porcelain pot, but with Western design for export
then my biggest one, a Japanese porcelain, with brass handle, and markings too faint to read


Below are: One small hand made Japanese clay one, makes wonderful tea, pours fine if you approach it boldly -- the stream is a wide arc -- and has no markings. This came to me through the antique trade. The little fish one is a favorite for tea, too, and the one on the right I reserve for coffee. They all have a filter in the design, no need for strainers.


 My pitchers are more historic. So I thought you'd like to see the markings if any.

Here, reading from the top and around clockwise are a Wedgwood Queensware one, early 19th century, an Irish Belleek, old, but not antique, a pretty Staffordshire china, modern, but traditional design, a blank Lenox, as you see. But once you see it upright, the color and glaze and shape are unmistakable.

Known as backdoor Lenox, that company being near here for its long history, a lot of locals worked there, and sometimes seconds or unmarked pieces found their way home, and eventually into hands like mine. 

This is a pottery region, the clays being excellent and varied.  A lot of English potters found their way here hundreds of years ago.  And the seashore clay was used by Lenni Lenape Indians to make coil pots.  I've dug some at Cape May, and created small items from it to show local kids at community events.

The Dutch pewter one is part of a wedding present, early 60s, the set including a coffee pot, teapot and sugar bowl.
 


The pressed glass, in the middle, unmarked, probably Depression glass, belonged to a friend's grandmother, so I use it in her honor.

 So this is the slightly more elegant side of life chez Boud.  And I really think these accidental collections are complete now.






2 comments:

  1. A great collection - perfect for daily use (in my opinion, the best kind). My favourite of the pitchers is the smaller plain white one and I love the teapot with the blue flower design. As for your accidental collections being complete - watch out, inundation is lurking at all times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, collector that I am. And I love that you use them. I could not pick a favorite here, but I would guess the clear glass one, if it belonged to a friend's mother, is either Early American Pattern Glass (1870-1910 or so), or possibly a reproduction of one of those patterns, made in the 50's. I'd bet it's and original though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!