Sunday, January 7, 2018

Bread to warm the cockles of your heart

I'm not entirely sure what these cockles are in the saying, but this bread probably fills the bill.  



One giant loaf, to be cut into four parts, three for the freezer and one for the fridge, first slice for the cook, warm, with honey on.

This is wholewheat and white, approximately equal parts, and I finally remembered poppyseeds for the top.  I always forget to do this until the bread's a memory.

And I highly recommend using a heavy nonstick casserole as a bread pan. I got this idea years ago from Jacques Pepin.


It makes a wonderful crust, and only needs sort of dusting out after the bread's removed. You can easily see when the bread's done when it pulls away from the sides, as seen here.

I think of this sort of bread as artisanal,  sort of crusty, hearty, really good for practically anything you use bread for. And definitely a good idea on a frigid old winter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!