Saturday, November 2, 2019

Salt, fat, acid, heat and I

I've been hearing about this for a while, in fact I know of a entire course created as a result of a local great cook reading it, and thought I'd take a look.



It's this month's book selection for the Bite Club, run by the aforementioned great cook, who's a reference librarian by day.

And, by gum, it's as transformative as they say. I've just read the section on salt and already I've decided about the Thanksgiving turkey breast prep. I'm going to brine and spice it.  And, to read  is to act around here, I tested my new salt knowledge  with my nightly cup of cocoa.

I always use the real cocoa the kind in the can where the complete list of ingredients is: cocoa.  And a pinch of turmeric, honey, whole milk powder. And this time I used sea salt, coarse. And remembered to taste it after each few grains.

It was a whole lot more interesting than the unsalted kind I've always made. I figured that since salt on dark chocolate is great, this might be, too.  Try it. It's good.

And there's a lot more to salting than I realized. I like kosher salt for a lot of use, coarse seasalt and pink salt too, rarely use iodized, don't like the aftertaste. And we can get iodine from other foods. But now I'm learning a lot more about using it.

So I thought I'd just say.

4 comments:

  1. I've read about that book, and it does sound interesting! I've got a nifty cookbook waiting for me at the library tomorrow. Can't say it will result in much cooking, but at least it will be entertaining and make me feel hungry so I'll remember to eat something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a lot to be said for just reading cookbooks as entertainment, with no pressing ambition to actually cook from them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love to read cookbooks and Salt, Fat, etc. is one of the best for that. Your post reminded me that I have this available on Netflix. Surely the book is better and I might just have to add it to my library list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do! The illustrations are lovely, also funny. One is a series of three drawings showing something or other in the fat section, Fig 1, one phase, Fig 2, next phase, Fig 3, drawing of a fig.

    I rarely buy cookbooks, mostly only use a couple of pages, but this one might be an exception.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!