Thursday, October 31, 2019

Shopping in the closet, again

Needed a jacket, decided, after studying catalogs, not necessary to shop. I had this one, up to last night a v neck sweater, nice cashmere, from the thriftie. I've worn it quite a bit.

Now it's a jacket, just cut down the front. I thought about a silk edge binding, using Indian sari silk, but decided it didn't need it. So here's my new jacket.



I don't like taking sweaters off over my head at meetings etc., so this joins my little wardrobe of Nice Handy Comfy Jackets.

I've done this in the past to alter turtleneck sweaters which are hopeless for meetings where you never know how hot the room might be, and they became really useful.

7 comments:

  1. Good idea! Cheap too, which makes it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes one of my favorite tops or sweaters wears out at the cuff, but Im not ready to part with it yet. So I cut off the cuff part and make it 3/4 if the style will support it, or sleeveless and viola, I have a vest.

    I have also found a use for socks; since I dislike socks as such (I can never keep the silly things up, never could, I will cut them off just above the ankle and turn them into slippers. Wear them inside all winter, and they also are excellent for my rubber boots when I go out to shovel.

    The rest of the sock I use, folded over, to make a wrist cuff. I have a bone spur on my right hand, which makes using the mouse awkward and painful. This makes a wonderful cushion for the spur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an enterprising group. All great ideas!

      Delete
  3. How clever! I might have to try this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm at the point in my several-years-now search for a replacement barn coat at thrift shops, I may just make something. I've really got nothing to lose except whatever I hack up to make it from!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that plan meets with my total support. You might find that a couple of items attached might do it. Long sweater stitched inside raincoat, something like that. Let us know when you come up with something.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!