Saturday, August 17, 2019

Pie happened

So a friend who decided she'd never use it,gave me a ready-made piecrust thing. I'd never used it before, so that was interesting. I'm a good pastry maker when I can be pestered to do it. Not a brag,  just a fact of having naturally cool, dry hands. So I haven't used ready made before, but okay, trying it.

And since I had some gala apples and ripe peaches, it seemed like a nice two-season pie idea.



I did macerating a la Rose Birnbaum, where you season the fruit, with the usual sugar,nutmeg,cinnamon, cornstarch, lemon juice and let the juices flow for an hour.

Then you drain the fruit, catch the liquid and reduce it to about half,  as you see above on the stove, thereby raising the flavor from one to five stars, then pour the reduction back over the fruit in the pie crust. Then you put the lid on.



It's really worth the extra step. Much better than putting all the same seasoning in then baking right away.

Then you go off and do useful things, or not, as it bakes at 425f. I even remembered to put the foil around the edges so they wouldn't brown too fast.



And here we go.

6 comments:

  1. can almost smell that pie cooking from here. Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just about to test it with afternoon pot of tea. The house smells good, too. We'll see what I think of the pastry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmm- I can almost smell it too! Will be interested in the verdict on the pastry. I am NOT a pastry maker despite my most persistent efforts when I was first married. I can't count how many pie shells ended up (I'm ashamed to say) in the landfill. Finally I gave up and resorted to not making any sort of pie that required pastry...graham crumbs were my friend. Resident Chef, on the other hand, can make beautiful pastry in his sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If your hands are naturally warm, pastry's difficult. I actually prefer to eat crumbles rather than piecrust. This store one was okay,not wonderful. I make a nice apple crumble with oat flour and almond flour I grind specially. That's particularly nice for people who have to avoid gluten. I don't, but I like to know how to cater to people who have to be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to make meat pies approximately 100 years ago - ground the wheat by hand to make the flour, made the pastry, heck I raised the meat - but don't recall making many fruit pies. And now I haven't made any sort of pie in ages. I'm glad to learn that method with the juices/reduction, which I will certainly try if I ever DO make a fruit pie. Because of course now I am craving a fruit pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try it. It's wonderful. I usually prefer to eat farm ripe fruit as it comes, but once in a while it seems like a good idea to cook it. If you're going to that much trouble, you might as well do the reduction deal, and raise the joy to the nth power.

      Funny how the sight of the pie process makes us want some.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!