Thursday, December 13, 2018

Bean fritters

New invention I think. Can of habichuelas, white beans, simmered 20 minutes, drained, mashed, egg broken in, rolled in a mix of panko, cayenne pepper, and grated Parmesan, sauteed. One can makes two meals.




The idea of simmering came from Jack Monroe. I always like frittered foods, and you can mix and bread practically anything. Hp was partial to salmon fritters, but anything that can be mashed can work.

Cleared up the last of the garden this am. Cut back the dead bits of thyme, which still give off a lovely scent when cut, and the sage, lemon balm, chives and various other dormant plants. This way they're ready for spring. Aren't we all.




And lunch was interrupted by handyman/cook/artist/friend Mike bringing over a sample of his butternut squash soup, with some sage in it from my garden, a bunch of which he has in the freezer.  Tomorrow's lunch will be this soup with bean fritters part two.

6 comments:

  1. mmmm - butternut squash soup - one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ended up having it for supper, and it was excellent. Especially since someone else did the work.

      Delete
  2. Mmmm, squash soup! I think it's time to cook another Candy Roaster...it's been about a week since the last one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever since the year of the farm share when the shares devolved into squash and potatoes, I have been unable to face squash. Likewise corn, after a farmshare surfeit. But this soup was wonderful. I still shop at the farm, but at their stand where I make my own choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will your kind friend share the recipe?

      Delete
    2. I'll ask. He's the kind of cook who talks in generalities, because he doesn't measure etc, but I'll check. The container is going back to him with some sponge candy in it, never return it empty. Merry Chocmas!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!