Monday, June 16, 2014

Bloomsday 2014

Once again, dear blogistas, I draw your attention to the date and the month, and announce that I'm celebrating Bloomsday once again.

If you're unfamiliar with this literary event, go here and you'll find out what I'm banging on about.

This year my ceremony consisted of uploading Calibre to my new computer -- that's the site that enables you to transfer Gutenberg Program priceless books to your Kindle -- and proceeded to locate and upload Ulysses, the Joyce novel in question.  

The picture is of page one of said novel, the page nearly everyone has read even if they didn't get any further.  This being a dense, difficult and hysterically funny book, but a very long one.

So, since I don't have to hold a honking great tome in my hand, I will proceed to read this over the summer.  At least that's the plan. James Joyce would have been amazed, I expect.  About the Kindle, I mean.

3 comments:

  1. Counting by pages, I'm an inch or so farther on! I'm not sure I'll continue - I struggled through when I was too young to appreciate it, and now there are so many other things I want to read and re-read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire anyone who can even contemplate Ulysses, it seems such a weight to carry around (even if it is confined to a Kindle)

    oh and now I want to at least find out what happens on page two.(young lady that was so not fair...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that I should put Ulysses on my tablet, but I already have 'Pillars of the Earth' resident and have made NO progress on it. Too many came-from-trees books to read so far this year!

    Love the bears, too, Liz ;-)

    JoyceP in WI

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!