Thursday, January 31, 2019

Graphic novels, picture books for grown-ups

Since long ago discovering Maus, then more recently the work of Alison Bechdel, I've been interested in the graphic novel as an exciting art form. Not so much the retelling of classic works with illustrations, though the first graphic volume of Proust, Remembrance of Things Past, is brilliant, do look at it, but original works.

I'm hoping to get my book group to venture into them, so I'm doing a bit of research into what's good, what's available, and passing on my thoughts to the group leader.




Here are the three best so far, already recommended Bechdel and Maus's Spiegelman, and they're all great. The writer/illustrators all get the real point of this genre. Not just a story with pictures added, but a drama where the graphics act out the meaning of the script and add new dimensions to it. The way good actors take on and enlarge their script, or Hilary Hahn interpreting violin music. Check her on YouTube, one of the best musicians ever.

Maira Kalman gives us a wild careering ride through the mind of a brilliant artist, who takes in all the threads of life and imagination, every emotion you can have, in her The Principles of Uncertainty, the title already a riff on Heisenberg . And Bintel Brief is a new look at that famous phenomenon of the early twentieth century, the reader letters to the editor of the Forward, the Yiddish newspaper of the Lower East Side of New York.

You don't have to be a New Yorker to love her take on the letters and the shade of their editor. Then there's Notes on a Thesis, and you don't have to be a graduate student to follow the struggles of a young woman getting her Ph.D despite family, friends, even her own adviser and fellow students. The illustrations are a constant subtext.

So there's where I am now. Still reading books without pix, Guns of August, Night Circus, The Other Einstein, with dear old Less than Angels, favorite Pym. I love Catherine Oliphant, like dropping in on a friend.

But do try graphic novels, and if you already do would you please share your recommendations? I'd love to hear.

7 comments:

  1. Liz, I think you might enjoy "Warlight" by Michael Ondaatje. Thanks for the recommendations on graphic novels. I've long wanted to see/read John Lewis's "March" series. This might be a good year to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank you for your recommendations, too! I'll explore and and pass them on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another comment from me! This time on graphic novels. On the rec of a sewing friend, I've checked out "Belonging" - German heritage girl in US wonders if her family was involved in Nazi past. Goes to Germany, interviews, research forthcoming. I haven't started it yet, but looks promising. And on non-graphic front, I'm reading "Milkman" and it is incredible. At least the 1/3 I've read so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the continuing info. Is Milkman the one that won the Booker prize?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't find Belonging in my libe. Do you have an author name? Sometimes that gets it when the title doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never mind, I found the author another way, Nora Krug, and yes, when I look it up the libe does in fact have it. Its ways are unsearchable, literally.ooookay, requested now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!