Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Paleo cookies, few ingredients

So I needed a little something to go with afternoon tea, and decided to go with Elizabeth Barbone's paleo cookies.  Not sure why they're called this, since I doubt if the ingredients were available to paleo people, but never mind.

If you want to try them, go here 

Of  course, I didn't follow the directions, largely because I didn't have a couple of the four (!) ingredients in the house. And since it's sleeting, and icing and snowing and inventiveness is better than getting frozen and wet, I looked around.

Not enough almonds available to make 1.5 cups of ground almonds, so I used part almonds and the rest walnuts. Ground them in the coffee mill. I never buy the ready ground flour, astronomically expensive.  I don't grind them all the way to flour, since there's a hairsbreadth between getting flour and getting nut butter, so I leave it a bit coarse, fine for cookies.

And I didn't have maple syrup, so I used jaggery, the Western version, which is molasses half and half with honey.  Lovely organic molasses and excellent pure wildflower honey.



And here they are. This is one of those recipes where they say you can get more cookies than I actually did out of the ingredients. But they look okay to me, and they're ready to show up with their pot of tea in due course.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look wonderful, Liz, I can almost smell 'em.

    I never quite understood that "makes 36" 2" cookies" when I can get either 12--or 4 dozen from the same recipe.


    This comment is from Mittens, and though I see it clearly in my email, Blogger insists it doesn't exist. So I cut and pasted and here it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since seemingly the Paleo had cookie recipes, I wonder if the Beaker People did as well ??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!