Sunday, May 12, 2019

Cookerama

So it was windy and rainstormy and I had to go out anyway. So when I got back all wet and tired,  I was a little peckish.

And thought, it's cold enough for soup even if it is mid May. So I started a pot, tomatoes, garlic, scallions, bits of stuff from the freezer marked soup makings, chickpeas.

And since I had finished up all the bread, I thought maybe I should make those Jack Monroe crumpets, now that the special rings have arrived.



And after I'd mixed up the batter and put it to rise, I thought, as I put the flour back in the freezer, why not use the rest of the frozen raspberries I just put the flour next to, to make jam for the crumpets..






See how the crumpet rings work, like egg poaching rings.

Which is how it came to pass that I ended up timing soup, spooning in crumpets, 12 minutes per batch, sterilizing lid and jar, while stirring jam so it didn't burn. All at once.

I did stop for a bowl of soup to keep up my strength.




And now I have a large quantity of excellent soup, a pot of jam, and enough crumpets for several breakfasts and teatimes. The kitchen is clean. I am lying down writing this.

4 comments:

  1. That's funny, and I totally understand how a simple task can expand like rice in a pot, until you forget what started it all in the first place...
    I do hope you remembered to eat some of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. And it was good. I gave my friend the handyman a breakfast kit, just a tasting for his wife and him: two crumpets in a little container, some raspberry jam in another. He may just let his wife go to work tomorrow without mentioning the kit, and tackle it all himself..

      Delete
  2. Sounds lovely! I have those days sometimes too, and although tiring, the end result is so worth it. Now, crumpets...I need to learn how to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The crumpets are fun to make. Her instructions to cook it at a very low heat turned out not to be exactly right for my stove. So after the first few, I upped the heat just a bit, and it worked better. She's in the UK, maybe different stove settings. Also she writes in metric, and I did a lot of arithmetic translating to imperial before realizing my measuring things are also marked in metric, doh. It took quite a while to use up the batter, since i could only fit three rings at a time in the pan. Only have four anyway. So 12 minutes per batch adds up. But if you're not in a rush, fine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!