Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Looks like a dining table, but it's an outpost

I've joined with Action Together NJ, the Post it Posse, to be exact, and I'm in action as of today. The situation is that a whole lot of registered voters vote the dramatic four year elections and don't show up at midterms. This year it's vital to vote midterms, more than ever. And since NJ has vote by mail for everyone, it can't be easier.

Sooo the Post it Posse is a bunch of volunteers printing out the mail-in ballot app, adding an explanatory page about who we are and a handwritten post it note of encouragement. Then hand addressing the envelopes and sending it to the people on the list. If you've already got the app to fill in, chances are greater that you'll do it. And it means you vote on paper, unhackable.

I managed to get my printer to do a two sided app, from the official State website and the other materials, got a pad of post-it notes and my good pen, and once I get the right size emblopes, and a bunch of stamps, I'll be in business.



This is terrific for a girl like I, to quote Lorelei, because I'm working it at home in the cool, and it's important targeted work. I've been assigned a section of a town I used to work in, and I know the streets, also the community. This is very cool, less likely to annoy people instead of cheering them on. And it's NJ 07, high time for a change there to reflect today's world..

So when I'm not knitting, I'm an agent of change!  If any NJ blogistas want to take part, email me and I'll put you in touch. And puhlease, all US registered voters, please vote.

It counts! I've worked in local elections where everything hinged on a tiny handful of votes.   Vote thoughtfully, but vote.

Thanks so much, now for a pot of tea and a spot of sock knitting.

4 comments:

  1. Kudos to you and to the other wonderful volunteers. May the winds of change blow hard and decisively!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Every bit of encouragement is welcome. All my envelopes are now hand addressed, return addy on, awaiting weighing at the po to make sure the contents are one stamp before I go ahead. I need to print out a bunch more apps and samples before I can stuff and send. My only restraint will be cost. Volunteers pay for it, and I I'll see what this first push adds up to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to look for something similar in Oregon! Sounds like what I can do, as my days of going door-to-door to GOTV are perhaps behind me. Thanks for the inspiration, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oregon's had vote by mail for ages, no? So there may be something going. Check with your Indivisible group and see. Ive now completed and mailed out my stint. I'm keeping the voter list and will send a pc later I think, though that's not part of the push. But might be a good touch.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!