Saturday, April 28, 2018

Adventures with ferrets, Sebastian and the orchids

The last week has been punctuated with visits to a friend's animals and flowers while she and her husband have been on a cruise. Their idea of heaven, mine of hell, but moving right along...

So I've been stopping in to be bossed around by Sebastian the cat, usually totally timid, but has now got the hang of me and thinks nothing of ordering me to get his breakfast, stat, and his three wingmen, or partners in crime, Rocky, Skunky and Loki, the ferrets.

It's an endless talent show, what with one ferret trying to scale my leg, while another checks my shoelaces and the third yanks the kitchen rug about, it's his hobby.  They're as funny as rats, another pet favorite of mine.  I know small mammals are not everyone's cup of tea, but they have great personality if you let them chat with you.


Sebastian keeping an eye on Rocky, in case he makes inroads on S's breakfast




But Rocky was busy wondering if he could climb up me without my noticing

 


And Sebastian seized the chance at his breakfast while Rocky was otherwise engaged. For the photoshoot, only Rocky was present and posing, the others being MIA, probably up to no good in another room.

And there were the two prized orchids, one in bloom, the other bursting out just in time for the friends' arrival home tomorrow. 




I spritzed and generally fiddled a little bit with them, not too much, they're doing fine. Beautiful Metaphor readers will recognize the yellow one..friend's very happy with these, they first two she ever got to come back for a second year, so I was careful to give them five star treatment.  Actually orchids are as tough as old boots once they get under way.

All in all, just like old times with the petcare service.  And only a short walk, no commute.  Duncan was a bit suspicious when I got home having evidently been around other animals, but he was content to hold me down with a paw while he slept.

1 comment:

  1. The title of this post could easily be titles of two fascinating memoirs, "Adventures with Ferrets" and its sequel, "Sebastian and The Orchids". The first seems to be a coming of age story and the second has a character whose heart is broken over the course of the story.

    If I only knew those people, I'd start writing now! Heather, we need you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!