Monday, January 15, 2018

Dolliver and dpns

So I'd seen a lot of loose talk in other blogs and on Ravelry about sock knitting and I thought it would be nice to replace a pair of my handknitted socks that I had worn out.  I tend to walk a lot and that definitely has an impact.

I got out one of my favorite simple patterns, for a toe up, Moon's Holler Stock Sock,   here  and found some nice celadon green cashmere yarn.  Harvested from a sweater from the thriftie, unraveled.  Several people have receive scarves from this lot, very welcome. 





I used to uncrimp the yarn, wetting, etc., and getting the fibers straight before I knitted.  Then I found that in knitting, it uncrimps anyway, and you can't tell the difference. So now I  just knit it as is.

This pattern is fun, because the short rowed toe sort of happens, and you find yourself with a completed toe cap. Very comfortable to wear, too, no stitching across your toes. Notice the nice stitch markers and their fancy case, gift of a Raveler.

So of course, Blondie Firstborn, the hat fancier, instantly recognized this as a possible Dolliver hat, and decided to try her hand at the dpns. 

You can use short circulars if that's your religion. I can't abide circulars, too much like knitting on a treadmill for me. I like the pause at the end of the straight needle, the reorganizing of the yarn, very leisurely sort of approach.  

And you get to do it several times per row if you use dpns.  I like to use four, a triangle of work and a working needle, if the pattern allows it.  Some people like five, working around a square.



I didn't like to mention that the Dollivers'  heads are way bigger than this toecap, but if she's willing to help, that's fine.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the link to the sock pattern! I've been searching for an easy toe up pattern that suits my knitting abilities and I think this one might just be 'the one'. I like the method of working the foot until it's 2" shorter than your actual foot. THAT I can do!! I'm with you in working with DPN's too - can't wrap my head around using circs for socks, despite liking them for pretty much everything else.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!