Thursday, May 28, 2015

Plenty. Leek Fritters from the book, that is.

Last night large storms made going out a bit hazardous so I bagged the meeting I had planned on and stayed home to cook today's lunch ahead of time. Just as well, as it turned out.  These Leek Fritters, while, very very good, are also very very labor intensive. 



 I enjoyed spending the evening beating eggwhite, making batter, slicing and cooking leek and shallots, crushing garlic, making a complicated sauce, sorting spices and using up every measuring device in the house.  But it's not the sort of thing you sling together in a rush, unlike my usual fritters.




 Here are two test fritters (makings of quite a few more in the fridge, to be tested on Handsome Son, what do you bet he tries the sauce then puts ketchup on..tomorrow, as well as lunch for me today). 

Slightly browner than I meant, being a new recipe which browned faster than I realized it would. And there's the dressing sauce in the background.  I did take a picture of the fritters with sauce on, but though very good to taste, it didn't look appetizing in a picture.  Maybe that's why he didn't show a pic of the sauce in action, either.




Here's Ottolenghi's pic of his fritters, and the sauce.  To the right of the book is my sauce. He used a food processor, I used my blender and it worked just fine.
 
I had no yogurt, the Asian store not having received its delivery, so I subbed soft tofu. A bit different, but I think it worked okay.  I had everything else, including my home grown parsley, and all the spices, yay, happy day.  And those chile peppers I froze the other day, some of that came into play. And the cilantro I had shredded and frozen, that, too, from some other Ottolenghi adventure. And my trusty castiron pan served again.

You'll notice that I have refrained heroically from quoting that unfortunate radio broadcasting cook of long ago, explaining on a women's home program about a leek recipe, who started with: Ladies, first take a leek....

1 comment:

  1. I love Ottolenghi, Boud. I have three of his books, but resisting the most recent one...not sure how long I can hold out! His recipes are quite labour intensive, I agree. My family like Kosheri, which is a good one for the spur of the moment as I have most of the ingredients in the store cupboard. It fills the boys up too, if they aren't total carnivores.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!