Thursday, September 18, 2014

Latest adventures in food from the farmshare

This week the share included a half head of cabbage.  If you don't do stuffed cabbage, and a half head would feed a small army with stuffed cabbage, which I don't like anyway, then what's to do?

So I cut it into wedges, steamed it till nearly tender yesterday, and put in the fridge overnight while I thawed a bag of homemade spaghetti sauce.  

Today I put the cabbage in a casserole dish, poured the spag sauce over it, grated a big helping of sharp cheddar over and a big shake of the Indian hot spicy snack I showed you some time ago as my secret weapon.  45 minutes at 390F and it was pretty nice.  

Cabbage was tender, but still had shape, sauce went well with it, and the spicy and cheesy top helped the general neediness of cabbage pretty well.  Since I'd made the spaghetti sauce, I knew there were already a lot of flavors in it, so I didn't need to add spices or salt to the casserole.








So here's my Chou Gratine, avec epices, in red sauce. This as you see would make one helping for four people, or one helping four times for moi.  Or one snack for a veggie teenage boy.

1 comment:

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!